Share
Student claims she ‘was nearly killed’ by cocktail with egg white

Student claims she ‘was nearly killed’ by cocktail with egg white

Student, 22, ‘was nearly killed’ by cocktail containing egg white that sparked allergic reaction at Rio Ferdinand’s barAmelia Bates, 22, claims she was nearly killed by a cocktail with egg white  She ordered the Ciroc Colada and after taking a sip went into anaphylactic shockMs Bates admitted she missed the allergy warning on the first page of…


Student, 22, ‘was nearly killed’ by cocktail containing egg white that sparked allergic reaction at Rio Ferdinand’s bar

  • Amelia Bates, 22, claims she was nearly killed by a cocktail with egg white  
  • She ordered the Ciroc Colada and after taking a sip went into anaphylactic shock
  • Ms Bates admitted she missed the allergy warning on the first page of the menu 
  • But she said the drink’s ingredient listing did not mention egg white
  • She said she is not criticising bar but calling for labelling of all drink ingredients

A student who claims she was nearly killed by a cocktail is calling for mandatory labelling of all drink ingredients.

Amelia Bates, 22, ordered the Ciroc Colada at Manchester celeb hot spot Rosso, owned by Rio Ferdinand, during a night out with friends in last month – unaware it contained egg white.

The second year criminology student, who was diagnosed with an allergy to milk, eggs and nuts at six weeks old, went into anaphylactic shock after taking one small gulp and was rushed to hospital.

Ms Bates admitted she missed the warning on the first page of the establishment’s 17-page drinks menu advising those with allergies to speak to bar staff but claims the foamy drink’s ingredients were only listed as pineapple vodka, pink grapefruit rum, peach puree and lemon.

Student Amelia Bates, 22 (pictured with epipen she used on the night), claims she nearly died after drinking a Ciroc Colada cocktail with egg white at Manchester celeb hot spot Rosso, owned by Rio Ferdinand during a night out with friends last month

Student Amelia Bates, 22 (pictured with epipen she used on the night), claims she nearly died after drinking a Ciroc Colada cocktail with egg white at Manchester celeb hot spot Rosso, owned by Rio Ferdinand during a night out with friends last month

Ms Bates, from Selby, North Yorkshire, claims bar staff told her the drink did contain egg white when she asked after feeling the first effects of the reaction.

She said: ‘This was the worst reaction I have had – if I had taken a bigger gulp I could have died.

‘I am quite fortunate the anaphylaxis wasn’t as extreme as it could have been. If I had been more inebriated I wouldn’t have been able to spot some of the symptoms.

‘There was a warning on the first page of the menu saying “if you have allergies please speak to us” but when I picked it up, it opened on one of the middle pages naturally so I never saw it.’

Ms Bates (right), who was diagnosed with an allergy to milk, eggs and nuts at six weeks old, went into anaphylactic shock after taking one small gulp and was rushed to hospital

Ms Bates (right), who was diagnosed with an allergy to milk, eggs and nuts at six weeks old, went into anaphylactic shock after taking one small gulp and was rushed to hospital

Ms Bates admitted she missed a warning on the first page of the establishment's 17-page drinks menu advising those with allergies to speak to bar staff (Ciroc Colada pictured)

Ms Bates admitted she missed a warning on the first page of the establishment’s 17-page drinks menu advising those with allergies to speak to bar staff (Ciroc Colada pictured)

She admitted she missed the warning on the first page of the establishment's 17-page drinks menu advising those with allergies to speak to bar staff but claims the drink's ingredients were only listed as pineapple vodka, pink grapefruit rum, peach puree and lemon

She admitted she missed the warning on the first page of the establishment’s 17-page drinks menu advising those with allergies to speak to bar staff but claims the drink’s ingredients were only listed as pineapple vodka, pink grapefruit rum, peach puree and lemon

Fortunately, Ms Bates’ anaphylactic shock symptoms were quickly recognised after she felt her throat begin to close and called 999.

She was given an intravenous drug by paramedics and was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary by ambulance where she remained for the next couple of hours before being released.

Ms Bates is now calling for the rules in bars to be changed and wants it to be compulsory for all ingredients to be listed on the menu.

The criminology student is now calling for the rules in bars to be changed and wants it to be compulsory for all ingredients to be listed on the menu. Ms Bates (pictured at the front of Rosso) said: 'I don't want to criticise Rosso, it's more about changing the legislation'

The criminology student is now calling for the rules in bars to be changed and wants it to be compulsory for all ingredients to be listed on the menu. Ms Bates (pictured at the front of Rosso) said: ‘I don’t want to criticise Rosso, it’s more about changing the legislation’

The University of Manchester student said: ‘I am alright now, but the after effects of the reaction knocked me out a bit over the weekend.

‘I don’t want to criticise Rosso, it’s more about changing the legislation. It should be the same for bars as for supermarkets and restaurants.

‘If it happened to me, it will have happened to someone else. As well as allergies, people who are vegan or vegetarian would want to know what is in the drinks’

Ms Bates said:L 'If it happened to me, it will have happened to someone else. As well as allergies, people who are vegan or vegetarian would want to know what is in the drin

Ms Bates said: ‘If it happened to me, it will have happened to someone else. As well as allergies, people who are vegan or vegetarian would want to know what is in the drinks’

The law around labelling alcoholic beverages lies with the European Union and the industry submitted a self regulatory proposal to the European Commission last year which is under review.

Currently, alcoholic beverages stronger than 1.2 per cent alcohol are exempt from ingredient list and nutrition declaration requirements.

MailOnline has approached Rosso for comment. 

Advertisement

Manchester Uni student ‘was nearly killed’ by cocktail with egg white at Rio Ferdinand’s bar

Comments179

Share what you think

house rules.

Read More