Hollandaise sauce is also known as French sauce is very easy to make and this is an all-purpose sauce because you can use it with different varieties of foods. This superb yummy sauce is an emulsion of egg yolk, lemon juice and melted butter which together forms the best combination to produce eye-soothing, amazingly flavored luxurious sauce.
The hollandaise sauce recipe is very easy to prepare with its very few simples steps. So even for the very first time of your life you are planning to make the homemade sauce then also nothing to worry much as with our step by step guide this extraordinary sauce will be ready to serve on your plate within few minutes.
This French cuisine sauce is very light and creamy in texture and taste really well when consumed with poached eggs and steamed vegetables. This is one of the five main mother sauces of French cousin and in use since very old times in France as well as in different parts of Europe.
Start your day with this lip-smacking sauce and bread or any other breakfast menu as it goes well with almost every spicy and conventional morning time menu. Also, try something new in your regular snack with this classic sauce. Use this as a dip with your favorite snacks to lavish your taste bud.
The only requirement that you need to fulfill in order to prepare the perfect textured and tastes hollandaise sauce is to stay ready to give your full-fledged effort while you whisk all its ingredients. This is very important no doubt because in the lack of needed bicep power and speed you won’t get that luxurious flavored and texture French sauce for which it is popular.
However, if you feel a lack of needed amount of your hand power then there is a good alternate option for you in the form of a blender. So let’s start with today’s recipe guide without making further delay.
Hollandaise Sauce Recipe #1
- 3 large size egg’s yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (4 oz)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (adjust as per your taste bud)
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For preparing this sauce recipe first you need to mix egg yolks, pepper, salt and lemon juice in the blender jug.
- Melt the butter in the microwave using a microwave-safe container. Melt it for 20 seconds or until it completely get melted and hot to touch.
- If a microwave is not available then the butter can also be melted in a small size saucepan in gas stove. If you are using saucepan for melting the butter then melt it until it starts foaming.
- After covering the blender with lid, blend the egg yolk mixture at a high speed for a minimum of 3 seconds.
- In between this blending process pour the thin stream of melted butter by uncovering the lid or by removing the middle plastic piece from the lid.
- Once the butter combines with other blending mixtures then sauce automatically starts getting thicken.
- Your sauce is ready to serve. Enjoy it hot in your breakfast. As per your taste bud, you can add extra salt and pepper for enhancing the taste of prepared hollandaise sauce.
- If you do not like the taste of lemon or want to try something different in your recipe then you can easily replace lemon juice with white vinegar as this also tastes great.
- Use only fresh, good quality and refrigerated eggs in this recipe in order to prevent the risk of food-related illnesses such as Salmonella.
- The egg yolks get cooked to some extent during the blending process due to the friction of blender blades with hot butter. So it must be consumed cautiously. This is the reason this sauce should be consumed in a very lesser quantity and in less frequency.
Hollandaise Sauce Recipe #2
- 3 big egg yolks
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Melt the butter in a small pan at a low flame. Do not boil it otherwise its moisture content will evaporate. Melt it slowly so that the moisture level of your butter remains intact.
- Mix the egg yolks, salt, lemon juice, and cayenne into the blender and blend this mixture for about 20 to 30 seconds on a medium to medium-high speed or until the mixture lightened in color.
- The friction generated by the blender blades will make the yolks bit cooked. Also, the blending process will add bit air into the mixture which lightens the texture of your hollandaise sauce recipe.
- Once the mixture gets lightened in color, simply reduce the blender speed to its lowest setting and mix the hot melted butter slowly into the mixture while the blender is running. Continue blending for the next few seconds until the butter gets mixed well with the whole mixture. In case your blender has only one speed and there is no option for increasing or reducing its speed then also it will not affect this recipe.
- Your hollandaise sauce recipe is now ready to taste. So turn off the blender and taste your sauce hot. It must taste now lemony, buttery and very light salty. However, if the lemony and salty taste is not up to the mark depending upon your taste desire you can add a bit salt or lemon juice to taste.
- If your hollandaise sauce is thicker in consistency and you prefer to eat bit lighter consistency then add a little amount of warm water in it to get the thinner consistency. Mix it well so that
your ingredients incorporate well once again. Serve this sauce hot or you can even use it within one hour of its preparation. In order to keep it hot store it near the stovetop.
- If you want to use salted butter in this recipe instead of unsalted butter then you need not to use any added amount of salt in it otherwise the ultimate recipe will be too salty to taste.
- In case you find your sauce is about to break then don’t get panic. You can save your sauce from getting broken by re-emulsifying it. For this whip the warm sauce a bit into a tbsp of cold water or lemon juice at a time and eat it instantly.
Hollandaise Sauce Recipe #3
- 4 large size egg yolks
- 1 cup clarified butter ( before clarifying this contain about 2 and ½ sticks)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- For preparing this sauce recipe first you need to heat 1 to 2 inches of water in a saucepan on
medium flame. The clarified butter that you are about to use must not be hot instead keep it warm only.
- Mix the egg yolks and cold water together in a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl. Mix it for 1 to 2 minutes or until your mixture gets light and foamy in texture. Drizzle a few drops of lemon juice too in this mixture.
- Now the water on the gas stove would start reaching the simmer point. Set your bowl on the top of the saucepan containing simmering water. Make sure the water level doesn’t touch the bottom of your bowl. Whisk the egg yolks for one to two minutes until it thickened slightly.
- Now remove the bowl from the top of the saucepan and add the melted butter slowly, few drops at one go while whisking the mixture constantly. If you would add the butter quickly then it can even break the emulsion.
- Gradually increase the speed and rate at which you add the melted butter as your sauce thickens. However, for the best result add it at a slower speed initially.
- Once all melted butter content is added into the mixture then whisk in the leftover lemon juice in it. For seasoning add kosher salt, and cayenne pepper or a dash of Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Now your hollandaise sauce is ready to serve. Finally, you will get a smoother and firm consistency sauce. In case it is extra thick then you can adjust its consistency by mixing a little amount of warm water in it. For enjoying the best taste of your hollandaise sauce serves it right away.
- It is always better to consume hollandaise sauce immediately. However, if you are not ready to have it right away then you can keep it for about one hour time. However, make sure that you keep it warm. After two hours it should be tossed however in between it will start to break and the food safety risk will begin.
- Make sure that you heat the egg yolks gently as in this way it can make a better bond with each fat drops of clarified butter that you add slowly. In this, a stable emulsion is formed while preventing the risk of your hollandaise sauce to curdle. Also when the egg yolks cooked fast it loses its emulsifying ability in between. This is the reason it is cooked gently and indirectly. Apart from this if the egg yolks get too hot it produces scrambled eggs.
Different ways of Using Hollandaise Sauce in Your Regular Life
No doubt the hollandaise sauce goes best with eggs Benedict but we cannot limit its usage only with this recipe. This French cuisine sauce goes well with other dishes also making them much more delicious and lip-smacking. Some more alternate ways in which you can get more hollandaise sauce in your life include-
- Broccoli- There would be no better healthy meal option than the broccoli. However, if you are bored with regular broccoli then try something new this time by adding the hollandaise sauce in it. Dip the sweet and tenderly roasted broccoli into hollandaise and enjoy its amazing taste which will be the best combo of spice and nutrients.
- Poached Salmon- Add the tangy and salty hollandaise sauce on the top of soft poached salmon. It will enhance the taste of regular salmon by making it spicier and lip-smacking.
- Asparagus- Add crispy, blanched asparagus with creamy herbed hollandaise. They together make the best combo that every food lover would like to eat again and again.
- Crab Imperial-Use hollandaise sauce in preparing crab imperial which usually uses blue crab bound with mayonnaise-based sauce. Hollandaise sauce will be really a great replacement for mayonnaise-based sauce.
- Baked Turbot- The hollandaise sauce also goes well with baked turbot. If you have not yet started using this diet combo then do not lose this opportunity which is rarely a great way to include this amazing sauce in your life.
You can save the leftover hollandaise sauce recipe in your refrigerator for the next few days. However in that case whenever you will plan to eat this make sure that you heat a few tbsp of this sauce on low flame. After that gradually whisk in the remaining sauce. Every time you plan to eat the frozen hollandaise you should reheat in the same way. However, try to avoid storing it for a long period as it is best to consume it immediately when it prepared. Also, hollandaise sauce should not be consumed very frequently for the sake of your good health.
<span class="collapseomatic " id="id5f5e83c264ffd" tabindex="0" title="View Article Sources“>View Article Sources