REVEALED: Latest London stabbing victim, 29, is cousin of GMB’s Alex Beresford – and was killed just 11 days after weatherman interrupted the show with passionate plea to stop knife crimeNathan Armstrong was killed in the early hours of yesterday morning He was found suffering from severe stab wounds as passersby tried to help He is the…
REVEALED: Latest London stabbing victim, 29, is cousin of GMB’s Alex Beresford – and was killed just 11 days after weatherman interrupted the show with passionate plea to stop knife crime
- Nathan Armstrong was killed in the early hours of yesterday morning
- He was found suffering from severe stab wounds as passersby tried to help
- He is the cousin of ITV weather man Alex Beresford, who is said to be in shock
- The presenter had previously spoken out about the growing epidemic of UK knife crimes
Nathan Armstrong (above) is the cousin of GMB presenter Alex Beresford
Good Morning Britain’s weatherman Alex Beresford has been left in a ‘state of shock’ after his cousin was revealed as the latest London stabbing victim.
The presenter had previously commented on the UK’s growing knife crime epidemic before his cousin Nathan Armstrong was killed in the early hours of yesterday morning on the same street that Jill Dando had been shot on in 1999.
CCTV footage from the incident saw Nathan arguing with two men in the middle of Gowan Avenue where properties sell for around £1.5million.
Speaking to The Sun a source said: ‘He’s in a state of shock.
‘It’s so tragic, especially when you think he spoke out about the knife crime problem so recently.’
The 38-year-old weather man had previously hit headlines on March 5 after he spoke up on the ITV breakfast show during a panel debate on whether or not there should be more jails in the UK.
He said: ‘Prison doesn’t work though. It does not work.
Alex Beresford (pictured above) had previously spoken out about crime in the UK
One of the men is spotted armed with what appears to be a blade moments before a man – named locally as engineering graduate and baseball player Nathaniel – was stabbed
A man walks into the middle of Gowan Avenue, Fulham before two others appear in the CCTV footage. They appear to engage in an argument in the middle of the road, before moving towards the pavement
‘I’ve grown up in some of these communities you guys are talking about. Some of these boys don’t fear prison.
‘If we don’t change the environment we won’t change anything. This has been happening for years, years, and it’s not always in the media.’
The presenter also gave his opinion on the idea that what was needed to tackle the menace of knife crime was more police officers.
‘Yes, policing is one thing, but if you don’t change these boys’ environment,’ he said.
While near the pavement the men have a scuffle, before they move towards a driveway along the road. They engage in an argument for short while on the residential street
After continuing to argue on the pavement (pictured), all three men move towards a driveway along the road. Just moments later two of the men emerge, before one collapses near a car
‘All of you guys have benefited from the environment you’ve grown up in, this work environment, I’ve benefitted from it too.
‘But if you don’t show these boys a different environment you won’t change anything.’
Shocking video footage emerged today showing the final moments of Nathan’s life.
Police were called to reports of a fight on Gowan Avenue in Fulham at around 12.27am where the man – named locally as engineering graduate, Nathaniel – was found suffering from stab wounds, later dying of his injuries despite desperate attempts to save him.
The scene this morning: Officers were called to reports of a fight on Gowan Avenue in Fulham, West London at around 12.27am where a man, believed to be aged 29, was found suffering from stab wounds
On a quiet tree-lined street, three men can be seen arguing in the middle of the road before they disappear into a driveway.
Moments later, two of the men emerge but one is seen stumbling around on the pavement before collapsing next to a car at the top of the road.
The dead man’s friend, George, 30, said he went to Southampton University with Nathaniel, who had moved back to West London to find work.
He said the victim went to Hurlingham School in Fulham followed by Kingston College before studying for an engineering degree.
A murder investigation has opened as detectives searched the scene for anything which might lead them to who stabbed the 29-year-old man
The scene this morning: Police monitored the scene as forensic investigators and detectives searched for clues as to what had happened
George said: ‘We don’t know how this happened. He’s got a lot of friends who live local to here. He was well-known in the local area. Everyone in the area would have know him from basketball.’
He added: ‘He was super friendly, a BFG. He looked super scary – six foot seven, big beard – but super friendly. It would shock you how friendly he was.’
The Metropolitan Police launched a murder investigation early this morning, later saying they were hunting a 6ft tall light skinned black man who was seen near the scene at the time of the crime.
It is the 26th murder investigation to be launched in the capital this year.
A police cordon has been set up on Gowan Avenue in Fulham, West London where a man was stabbed to death in the early hours of this morning
Members of the public had tried to save the man, aged 29, but despite further treatment from the ambulance service he was pronounced dead at the scene
DCI Glen Lloyd, leading the investigation, said: ‘This murder investigation continues apace. Police work at the crime scene is ongoing. Active enquiries are in hand.
‘We are appealing for information from those who were out and about in the area at the time of the attack and saw anything of note.
‘My team is particularly keen to trace a light skinned black male, approximately 6ft tall who was seen near the scene at the time of the incident.’
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: ‘A crime scene is in place and officers are working to establish the full circumstances of what happened.
‘At this early stage there have been no arrests.’
Tristan Lovering, 52, who lives on Gowan Avenue, told MailOnline: ‘I’ve got a military background and sometimes even I get intimidated around here.
‘People think that just because it’s leafy Fulham you’re safe, but you’re not. I’m always telling my daughters to stay aware.’
And Nikki, who did not reveal her surname, said she got out of an Uber on the street just before the man died.
The 29-year-old, who lives on an adjoining road, said: ‘I got out of my Uber at 12:57am last night and there were tonnes of cop cars and a massive crime scene.
‘I went up to the police to ask what happened and they said there’s being a stabbing.
‘I can’t believe this has happened again, another stabbing in two weeks and he’s the same age as me.’
The latest West London stabbing follows the death of 17-year-old Ayub Hassan who was stabbed outside West Kensington tube station at 2.00pm on Thursday, March 7.
Knife crime rose by 12 per cent last year as nearly 40,000 were reported to police according to shocking crime statistics released by the Office for National Statistics in January. That brings the average daily total to more than 100.
Gowan Avenue at 12.57am when paramedics spent 30 minutes trying to save a 29-year-old man who had been stabbed
The Met said officers have informed the man’s next of kin and that the homicide and major crime command had been notified
A murder investigation has been launched following the stabbing in Fulham (pictured). It is the 26th murder investigation to have been launched in the capital this year
Police remain at the scene this morning as investigators try to piece together what led to the fatal stabbing
He died about 100m from the spot where BBC Crimewatch presenter Jill Dando was murdered in 1999
Greg Hands MP for Fulham and Chelsea spoke to ‘very very concerned’ residents on Gowan Avenue.
He told MailOnline: ‘It’s another tragic fatal stabbing here in Fulham, the second one in 8 days and I’m really worried and concerned.
‘I’ve just been speaking to residents of Gowan Avenue and people are very very concerned about this they want to see much tougher action in the capital.
‘My children went to the primary school just there, I was eating dinner at the restaurant just here last night. This is a really family part of London.’
Another friend of Nathaniel’s, who visited the cordon on Saturday morning, said: ‘It’s still processing, he was a good guy, he was a big man, 29, you don’t do silly things like this, knife crimes.’
The man, who asked not to be named, said he was not aware of similar violent incidents in the largely quiet residential area but added: ‘There might have been a stabbing in this area, don’t get me wrong, but they are normally with kids, not people our age.
‘Even if there was a little problem it should not have led to this.’
Jill Dando, a former Crimewatch presenter, was shot dead aged 37 outside her flat on the same road in 1999.
Miss Dando, was shot once in the head. Neighbours found her slumped against her front door in a pool of blood.
A blue Range Rover that had been parked on the street where Jill lived Gowan Avenue was captured on CCTV was captured driving away at speed from the murder scene.
It has long been suspected that the 38-year-old died at the hands of a professional assassin.
The latest stabbing is the 26th murder investigation to have been launched in London this year, with incidents including the killing of 17-year-old Jodie Chesney in a playground in East London.
If you can help the police with their latest enquiry, please call the 101 and quote reference number 179/16 March.
Jill Dando (pictured), a former Crimewatch presenter, was shot dead aged 37 outside her flat on the same road in 1999
Miss Dando, was shot once in the head. Neighbours found her slumped against her front door in a pool of blood. Pictured are police at the scene soon after the shooting
The murder prompted an enormous inquiry (pictured are officers at the scene) by Scotland Yard and resulted in unemployed loner Barry George being jailed for her murder in July 2001. He was granted a retrial on appeal, and received a unanimous acquittal by a jury in August 2008 after a retrial
There have now been 26 murder investigations launched in London so far this year, with the nation left horrified by the murders of two innocent 17-year-olds Yousef Makki from Manchester and Jodie Chesney from London.
And the problem isn’t confined to London alone with the number of criminals caught with knives or other potentially deadly weapons reached its highest level for almost a decade last year.
There were 21,484 such offences that came before the courts – but more than six out of ten of those arrested and dealt with by the law were allowed to go free without serving jail terms.
A record share of the weapons cases were those involving individuals who either carried or brandished knives, as opposed to improvised weapons such as bottles and knuckle dusters, according to Ministry of Justice figures.
The killings have prompted warnings of a ‘national emergency’ and sparked intense scrutiny of reductions in the size of the police workforce.
Twenty four people – including Jaden Moodie, who was just 14 – have been murdered in London in the first three months of 2019. A number of murder investigations are also underway
London’s year of carnage: The first 100 victims of the ever-rising toll of violence of the capital’s streets
Kyall Parnell was the first victim of London’s year of violence, he was stabbed on the night of New Year’s Eve
Vijay Patel was beaten to death in January after refusing to buy Rizla cigarette papers for a teenager
1) Kyall Parnell, 17, was attacked in front of horrified revellers on his way to a New Year’s Eve party and died after being chased through traffic in Tulse Hill, south London. A murder investigation was opened in 2018.
2) Steve Frank Navarez-Jara was the first person to be killed in 2018. The 20-year-old was stabbed on New Year’s Day in Old Street, north London.
3) Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, who came to London from Romania to work, was stabbed in Redbridge, east London on January 3.
4) Vijay Patel, 49, died on January 6 after being attacked outside a shop in Mill Hill Broadway after refusing a teenager trying to buy Rizla cigarette papers.
5) Daniel Frederick, 34, died after being stabbed in Hackney on January 8 while walking home after attending a hospital check-up with his pregnant partner.
6) Harry Uzoka, 25, worked as a model in London and was knifed in the heart in Shepherd’s Bush on January 11.
7) Seyed Azim Khan’s body was found in Ilford Cemetery with extensive head injuries in February after he went missing on his way home from work on January 24.
8) Yaya Mbye, 26, died in hospital after being stabbed in Stoke Newington. east London, on January 28.
9) Juan Olmos Saca, 39, was stabbed in the chest in Peckham, south east London, on the January 29 and died a week in hospital.
10) Khader Saleh, 25, was stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison on January 31.
11) Eleven-week-old Lily-Mai Saint George was found unresponsive at an address in Tottenham on January 31. She died at Great Ormond Street Hospital three days later.
12) Hassan Ozcan was just 19 when he died from multiple stab wounds in Barking, east London, on February 3.
13) Kwabena Nelson, 22, a youth worker from Tottenham, died after being stabbed near his home on February 3.
Elizabeta Lacatusu had her throat slashed in Ilford
Hannah Leonard was stabbed in a flat in Camden in February
14) Hannah Leonard, 55, was stabbed in a flat in Camden on February 8.
15) Sabri Chibani, 19, was stabbed in the chest in Streatham, south west London, on February 11.
16) Bulent Kabala was the first victim to be shot dead in 2018. The 41-year-old was gunned down on February 12 and died at the scene in Barnet, north London.
17) Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed at a house in Ilford on February 13 and died from her injuries.
18) Lord Promise Nkenda was just 17 when he was stabbed in Canning Town, east London, on Valentine’s Day.
19) Mark Smith, 48, died from multiple injuries after being found unconscious in Waltham Forest on February 15.
20) Lewis Blackman, 19, was stabbed in the early hours of February 18 after going to a house party in Kensington. He died outside the former home of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury.
21) Jozef Boci, 30, suffered serious head injuries after being attacked on the street in Greenwich on February 17 and died in hospital just under a week later.
22) Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, was stabbed in Southall on February 19 and died from his injuries.
23) Sadiq Mohammed, 20, died after being stabbed in Camden on February 20.
24) Abdikarim Hassan, 17, a friend of Sadiq, died on the same night after also being stabbed in Camden.
25) Amir Ellouizi, 24, was shot in Westminster on February 20 and died seven days later on February 27.
26) Michael Boyle, 44, died from a single stab wound to the chest. He was attacked on 25 February and died in hospital on March 10.
27) Christopher Beaumont, 42, was stabbed at a house in Hammersmith on March 1.
28) Laura Figueira, 47, was found dead at her home in Richmond, south west London, on March 5th having suffered stab wounds.
29 and 30) Later the same day, her husband Adelino Figueia de Faria, 57 and two young sons Claudio, 10, and Joaquin, 7, were discovered at the bottom of Beachy Head at Birling Gap, East Sussex, with all three having died from ‘multiple injuries consistent with falling from a height’.
Russian socialite Nikolai Glushkov was strangled at his home in New Malden
31) Kelva Smith was 20 when he died after being stabbed in the stomach in Croydon, south London.
32) Kelvin Odunuyi, 19, was shot outside a cinema in Wood Green on March 8.
33) Julian Joseph, 36, died in hospital 11 days after being attacked and suffering a serious head injury on a night bus in New Cross just after midnight of March 13.
34) Nikolai Glushkov, 68, died from compression to the neck in New Malden on March 13.
35) Joseph William-Torres, 20, was shot in a car in in Essex Close, Walthamstow on March 14. Two teens, 15 and 17, charged with murder.
36) Lyndon Davis was 18 when he was stabbed in Chadwell Heath on March 14.
37) Naomi Hersi, 36, was found with stab wounds at a hotel near Heathrow Airport on March 16 and was pronounced dead 30 minutes later.
Jozef Boci, 30, was assaulted in Greenwich and later died from his injuries
38) Russell Jones, 23, died after suffering from stab injuries and a gunshot wound in Enfield, north London, on March 17.
39) Tyrone Silcott, 41, died after being stabbed in Hackney on March 18.
40) Balbir Johal, 48, was admitted to hospital with stab wounds after being attacked in Southall on March 19 and died a few hours later.
41) Jermaine Johnson, 41, was stabbed to death an an address in Walthamstow on March 19.
42) Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, was found with stab wounds at the Stratford shopping centre in East London, on March 20 and was pronounced dead at the scene.
43) Abraham Badru, 26, was shot in Dalston on March 25.
44) Wieslaw Kopcynski, 59, died on March 27th two days after being found lying in bed in Barking with serious head injuries following a suspected assault. A post-mortem found the cause of death was a complex skull fracture
45) David Potter, 50, was found dead inside a house in Tooting High Street on March 26 after suffering from stab injuries.
Hersi Hersi was stabbed in Hounslow in March
46) Reece Tshoma was 23 when he was stabbed in Plumstead, south east London, on March 29.
47) Leyla Mtumwa, 36, was found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey on March 30.
48) Ourania Lambrou, 80, died in hospital after being pushed to the ground by her attacker in a drunken rage in Camden on March 31.
49) Devoy Stapleton, 20, stabbed outside bar in Wandsworth in the early hours of April 1.
50) Tanesha Melbourne, 17, was shot in the chest on April 2 after a drive-by shooting in Tottenham, north London.
51) Amaan Shakoor, 16, was shot in the face, also on April 2 in Walthamstow and died a day later in hospital.
52) Career criminal Henry Vincent, 37, died after being stabbed in the chest as he burgled Richard Osborn-Brooks’ house in Lewisham on April 4. The 78-year-old was initially arrested for murder but cleared of all charges and faces no further action.
53) Babatunde Akintayo Awofeso, 53, died after fight at a bookmakers in Upper Clapton on April 4 following reports of an altercation with another man.
Russell Jones, 23, became the eighth person in a week to be killed in London in March when he was ambushed outside shops in Enfield
54) Israel Ogunsola, 18, in Hackney after being stabbed, also on April 4. The victim approached police who performed first aid but he died at the scene after 25 minutes.
55) John Maclean, 35, stabbed at a flat in the Isle of Dogs on April 12th.
56) Raul Nicolaie, 26, stabbed to death in Zenith Close, Colindale at 6pm on Sunday, April 15th.
57) Natasha Hill, 18, found dead with head injuries at an address in Sewell Road, Abbey Wood at 4.22am on Sunday April 15.
58) Samantha Clarke, 30s, stabbed to death in Sudbourne Road, Brixton, at 6:30pm on Sunday, April 15th.
59) Sami Sidhom, 18, who studied law and history at Queen Mary University, was stabbed in the back just yards from his home in Forest Gate, east London, after going to the West Ham v Stoke game on April 16.
60) Builder John Woodward, 47, found dead on the roof of the Pressman Mastermelts building in Hatton Garden on April 17. Post-mortem gave cause of death as blunt force trauma to the head.
61) Aaron Springett, 32, died after street fight outside bookies in Merton, south west London, after suffering from a blunt force trauma to the chest on April 20.
There was outcry in April when Tanesha Melbourne, 17, was shot in the chest in Tottenham
62) Kwasi Anim-Boadu, 20, stabbed during a mass brawl in Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, north London, on April 21.
63) Leon Maxwell, 38, shot outside Queensbury tube station on May 1. A 26-year-old man also shot went to a north London hospital.
64) Rhyhiem Barton, 17, shot dead in broad daylight near his family’s flat in Kennington on May 5th.
65) Onees Khatoon, 71, murdered at her home in Gade Close, Hayes, on May 13. Her son Majid Butt, 51, has been charged.
66) Rosina Coleman, 85, found battered to death at her home in Romford on May 15.
67) Abdulrahman Nassor Juma, 24, known to friends as Mani, fatally stabbed in the chest in Barking on May 17.
68) Osman Shidane, 20, stabbed repeatedly in Ruislip on evening of May 15, died three days later on Friday May 18.
69) Homeless Arunesh Thangarajah, 28, stabbed to death in Mitcham in early hours of Sunday May 20th.
Rosina Coleman was battered to death at her home in Romford in May
70) Sophie Cavanagh, 31, viciously attacked at an address in Bromley around 6pm on Sunday May 20.
71) Father-of-two Marcel Campbell, 30, from Tottenham, fatally stabbed outside an ice cream parlour in Islington on Monday May 21st.
72) Gerry Gaffney, 46, died in hospital on May 21st, eight days after being repeatedly stabbed near The Oval cricket ground in south London on Sunday May 14th.
73) Molly Frank, 61, a care worker, suffered fatal head injuries at an Islington residential home on May 24 and died in hospital the next day. A special post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as intra-cerebral haemorrhage.
74) Aspiring actress and singer Bethany-Maria Beales, 22, fell to her death from the 19th floor of The Heron, a 36-storey residential skyscraper in the City on May 26.
75) Mark Fontaine, 41, from Walthamstow, repeatedly stabbed in Chelsea on May 30.
76) Andra Hilitanu, 28, who was seven months pregnant with her third child, found stabbed in the neck at her flat in Brent on June 1st. The Romanian national’s family revealed that her unborn child also died.
77) Edmond Jonuzi, a 35-year-old Albanian, was knifed in park and collapsed near Turnpike Lane station in north London on the evening of Saturday June 9th.
Katerina Makunova, 17, was stabbed to in Camberwell in July
78) Gitana Matukeviciene, 50 and originally from Lithuania, found with multiple injuries at a residential address in Dagenham on Saturday June 9th never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead on Tuesday June 12th.
79) Mark Tremain, 52, died from his injuries on June 14th two weeks after being badly beaten near his home in Albert Square, Stockwell, on May 31st.
80) Apprentice lift engineer Joshua Boadu, 23, died in hospital on June 18th, seven days after being repeatedly stabbed in Bermondsey.
81) Matthew Thomas, 39, died shortly after being found with multiple injuries at a flat in Pimlico on Thursday June 21st.
82) Slawomir Weglarski, 39, died after a fight outside a pub in Greenford in the early hours of Saturday June 23rd.
83) Gita Suri, 56, found with stab wounds to her back in the garden of a house in Greenwich on Saturday June 23rd.
84) Schoolboy Jordan Douherty, 15, from Chafford Hundred, stabbed to death after a birthday party in Romford on Saturday June 23rd.
85) Ishak Tacine, 20, of Enfield, repeatedly stabbed in Edmonton following reports of an altercation between men armed with baseball bats on June 27th.
Drill rapper Latwaan Griffiths died of stab wounds after he was dumped in a Camberwell street by a moped rider
86) Elderly woman Shuren Ma, 72, found with a fatal head injury at a house in Woolwich on July 1st.
87) Janek Brakonecki, 57, a Polish national, found critically injured in a car park off Leytonstone High Road on Saturday July 7th.
88) Katerina Makunova, 17, stabbed to death in a block of flats in Camberwell on Thursday July 12th
89) Latwaan Griffiths, 18, from Southwark, died in hospital hours after being found with stab wounds in Denmark Road, Camberwell, on July 25. He had been dumped in the street by a moped rider.
90) Sheila Thomas, 69, was found stabbed to death at her home in Casino Avenue, Herne Hill on Tuesday July 31st.
91) Drill rapper Sidique Kamara, 23, aka Incognito, stabbed to death in Camberwell in an alleged gang feud on August 1.
92) Thomas Peter, 50, of Valentines Way, Dagenham, has been charged with murder and arson with intent to endanger life after woman found dead in east London on Thursday August 2nd.
Joel Urhie was found dead inside the burnt-out shell of his family home in Deptford
93) Malik Chattun, 22, from Surbiton, stabbed to death in group fight in Kingston just after 2am on Aug 5.
94) Seven-year-old Joel Urhie died in arson attack on his family home in Adolphus Street, Deptford, just before 3.30am on Tuesday August 7th.
95) Simonne Kerr, 31, A nurse who starred as part of a the B Positive choir who reached the final of this year’s Britain’s Got Talent, stabbed to death at an address in Grayshott Road, Battersea, on Wednesday August 15th.
96) Joseph Cullimore, 42, died after being repeatedly stabbed at a house in Chingford in the early hours of Friday August 17th.
97) Gary Amer, 63, a plumber of Holborn, found with multiple knife wounds at an address off the Old Kent Road on the afternoon of Friday August 17th.
98) Leroy ‘Junior’ Edwards, 66, found with multiple stab wound at an address in Catford in the early hours of Saturday August 18th.
99) Kaltoun Saleh was badly burnt in a fire at a flat in Finsbury Park on July 5th and died at a specialist burns hospital on Tuesday August 21st.
100) Carole Harrison, 73, found dead inside her house in Teddington following a fire on Wednesday August 22nd. A post-mortem found she had suffered injuries consistent with an assault.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.