News

Five teenagers dead and four injured after car drives on wrong side of motorway

Five teenage boys have died and four people have been taken to hospital following a two-vehicle crash in County Kildare.

The collision occurred on the M9 Northbound at Junction 3 at about 03:00 local time on Sunday.

Gardaí said the bodies of the five teenage boys, all occupants of one vehicle, have now been removed from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital where post-mortem examinations will take place.

They said the vehicle had been travelling on the wrong side of the carriageway when a head on collision occurred with a second car.

The driver and front passenger, both women in their 30s, of the second car have been removed from the scene to Tallaght University Hospital.

A female rear seat passenger, aged in her 20s, was taken to St. Luke’s General and the third passenger, who is a child, has been removed to Children’s Health Ireland at Crumlin.

All four are being treated for serious injuries.

The section of the M9 from Junction 3 to Junction 4 northbound and southbound remains closed with local diversions in place.

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly described those injured in the crash as “family members” who were “travelling innocently” when they were struck by the car driving on the wrong side of the motorway.

He described it as a “horrific incident” and “irresponsible and dangerous driving”.

“What makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.”

Kelly added that officers “do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users”.

“Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents.”

Show More

Leave a Reply

Back to top button